The Public Housing Authority State Athletic Conference (PHASAC) is the innovation of our Executive Director, Mr David Meachem. PHASAC started in 1991 with the idea to get young men residing in Public Housing off the street and into a positive atmosphere. With this hope of creating a positive atmosphere to guide these young men from a life of crime, Mr. Meachem and his staff sought to involve those young men in athletic competition.
In April of 1991 the first, “Proud to be Drug Free” Basketball Tournament was held. Six Public Housing Authority teams participated.
In September of 1991, the Statesville Housing Authority held a meeting to share with other Public Housing Authorities their success. These PHA’s gained an understanding that through the Public Housing Authority Drug Elimination Grant they too could experience the same success as Statesville. As a result….PHASAC was established.
Cheerleaders and dancers were added in 1992.
Today, PHASAC has teams from all over the state of North Carolina playing each other on Saturdays from January through May.
PHASAC is committed to education which is the reason that in order to participate, you must be in school. We also conduct educational workshops and schedule speakers each Saturday to present material that deals with drug prevention, violence prevention, peer pressure, healthy lifestyles, and other issues surrounding our youth.
Requirements for participation are:
- You must be between the ages of 14 – 18 years of age and a resident of Public Housing or Section 8, or a member of a Police Athletic League, or a member of a certified Boys and Girls Club of America.
- Members must not have reached their 19th birthday on or prior to January 1st of the current year.
- Players should have at least of 77% GPA. Local Youth afencies can arrange tutorial for those who do not have the minimum GPA.
- Players cannot be listed on the game book or roster of any high school varsity or junior varsity basketball team or any Jr. College or Community College game book or roster by January 1st of the current year.
PHASAC’s Initiatives are:
- To give the residents of each Housing Authority the opportunity to play organized sports and other activities which allow the individual to grow mentally, physically, spiritually and socially.
- To provide an alternative to illegal drug activities, involvement in criminal acts, and association with known criminal gang members, for the residents of each Housing Authority.
- To provide positive examples and role models for those who participate in youth sports activities.
- To create a healthy competitive attitude, to learn the value of teamwork, to increase self-esteem and leadership qualities for all who participate in youth sports activities.
- To provide adequate physical exercise and a proper knowledge of the rules and skills needed to play a particular sport.
- To translate the dedication and work ethic necessary to be successful in sports to the classroom. To provide each participant the opportunity to receive additional help and tutoring with schoolwork and increase the level of education to that desired by the individual.